Cyber Security Breaches Survey 2019
What is the purpose of the survey?
This is an important Government survey that is intended to:
- Provide up-to-date findings on how businesses approach cyber security
- Help organisations learn more about the cyber security issues that businesses like theirs might face
- Inform Government policy around cyber security and how they work with businesses
Who is being invited to take part?
Businesses across the UK have been selected at random from the Government's Inter-Departmental Business Register. Registered charities have also been selected to take part, using details from the Charities Commission database in England and Wales, the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator, and the Charities Commission for Northern Ireland.
Within these businesses and charities, we are inviting the senior person with the most knowledge or responsibility when it comes to cyber security to take part. We know that in some organisations, this might be a specific individual or Head of Department, while in other organisations it might be the business owner or charity trustee.
The survey is not technical, and participants do not need any specific IT knowledge.
What does participation involve?
Participation will involve a telephone interview with an interviewer from Ipsos MORI. On average interviews last around 20 minutes, though the actual interview length may vary depending on the answers that you give. The interview will take place at a time that is convenient for you.
Do I need to do anything to prepare for the survey?
For those invited to take part, to help prepare for the interview we have reproduced some of the questions that appear in the survey on this website. Some participants have told us it is helpful to see these questions in advance. Please see the Interview Preparation tab.
What reassurances can we give about the survey?
We would like to reassure those taking part in the survey that:
- Taking part is confidential
- We would still like to speak to you even if you have not had any cyber security issues, to help us ensure that our findings are representative of all organisations
- Findings from the research will be published in order to help organisations like yours.
For more information or queries about the survey that are not addressed here, you can also talk to Helen Motha at Ipsos MORI on 020 3059 4682.